Who is this course for
Mental Well-being for Maritime Leaders course is designed for the companies to onboard and introduce to their managers and leaders ashore in order to ensure that all leaders are consistently supporting and promoting mental well-being culture within their company, while also looking after their own well-being.
Tapiit Live will work directly with your company to understand your training requirements and will taylor the course to your needs. We will also work with you to include your company related information, e.g. references, policies, resources.
All courses are delivered on bespoke basis. Training schedule will be agreed with each company and sessions will be live-streamed on the agreed date/time, whether delivered to attendees are at home or in the office.
About the course
This course offers a modern approach to mental well-being in the workplace. Instead of looking at mental health first aid factors and reactive responses, it provides ways to avoid potential issues arising. This course recognises that leaders encounter the same, real-life stresses and difficulties that all of us come across, but often find hard to discuss. It offers leaders meaningful ways to support themselves and their whole workforce, by recognising that wellbeing should be a priority.
Aim of the course
- Provide leaders and managers the necessary support to look after own mental well-being
- Increase awareness and ability to recognise possible red flags within organisation
- Provide tools to reduce stigma attached to mental well-being within organisation
- Help develop a more compassionate company culture and build better staff relationships
- Help to develop your firm into one that staff feels supported by
- Provide a starting point for any company wishing to implement a full mental-well-being programme
Mental well-being in the workplace is increasingly seen as a priority. Industry research shows that good psychological health in the workplace is associated with lower staff turnover, fewer accidents and an improved working environment. Despite the current spike in open conversations about mental well-being, the issue still lies with the present stigma attached to the phrase 'mental health'. This leads to the labelling of people and having a reactive approach, instead of looking at the bigger picture and well-being culture in general. Front line employees are also unlikely to look after themselves and make their mental well-being a priority if well-being culture is not supported and promoted by the organisation itself.
To achieve meaningful change in any organisation, it needs to start with the leaders. Front line employees have to be led, inspired and encouraged by the management and leader of a company, who can show their policies and day to day procedures reflect their beliefs. Research shows that companies whose leaders invest in their own mental well-being, are able to see many more benefits through their mental well-being strategies in terms of sickness absence, staff turnover and the all-important commercial success. In business, mental well-being is everyone’s business. At Tapiit Live, we know that every person matters, including – and starting with - those in charge.
- Understanding human reactions to stress
- Current well-being and tools for well-being
- Toolkit overview
- Dropping Anchor (Dropping anchor tool, exercise and a 3-minute breathing space video)
- Use your Radar (Using radar tool, exercise)
- Do what Works for your employees and seafarers
- Building supporting culture
- Supporting others
- Discussions around case studies and different scenarios
- Resources and contacts